HAVE YOU BEEN SACKED OR PUNISHED FOR:
MAKING A COMPLAINT ABOUT SEXUAL HARASSMENT OR DISCRIMINATION?
TAKING TIME OFF WORK FOR BEING INJURED OR SICK?
JOINING A UNION OR TAKING PART IN UNION ACTIVITIES?
TAKING A TEMPORARY ABSENCE TO VOLUNTEER FOR EMERGENCY SERVICE WORK?
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR PAY OR WORKING CONDITIONS?
TAKING MATERNITY OR OTHER PARENTAL LEAVE?
YOU NEED TO ACT FAST!
GENERAL PROTECTIONS DISMISSAL CLAIMS HAVE A STRICT
21-DAY TIME LIMIT
Contact our team of employment lawyers and industrial advocates at Dismissals ‘R’ Us TODAY on
What are General Protections?
As an employee, you have a number of protected rights – these are known as your General Protections.
If your employer takes adverse action against you for exercising one of these workplace rights (including dismissing you) – you will be eligible to make a General Protections claim.
A General Protections claim can result in higher compensation payments than unfair dismissal claims, and can also attract penalties against your employer which are uncapped.
What are your protected workplace rights?
Your protected workplace rights include:
- making a complaint or an inquiry about your working conditions, like your pay, or the hours that you work
- making a complaint about sexual harassment or some form of discrimination
- a temporary absence from work because of an illness or injury
- trade union membership or non-membership
- participation in trade union activities
- being absent from work during maternity leave or other parental leave
- temporary absence from work to volunteer for emergency service activity
Your are also eligible to make a general protections dismissal claim if you are sacked because of a protected attribute.
What are adverse actions?
Adverse action can include:
- changing your working conditions to your disadvantage (like reducing your hours or your number of shifts)
- denying you a promotion or professional training
- demoting you
- forcing you to resign
- sacking you
If you can prove that you were exercising a workplace right, or were planning to exercise a workplace right, when an adverse action was taken against you, then you might be eligible to make a General Protections claim.
How much compensation will you get?
You might be awarded a larger compensation pay out if you win a General Protections claim (compared to an unfair dismissal claim), including damages for shock and distress.
In addition, your employer can be made to pay penalties which are uncapped.
How we will help you
Our specialist team will quickly assess your case and advise you of the following:
- the likelihood of success;
- how much it will cost; and
- how long it will take.
If we are able to take on your case, we will:
- negotiate with your employer
- file all documentation with the Fair Work Commission, Industrial Relations Commission, Federal Court or other relevant court or tribunal
- advocate for you in any mediation or conciliation meetings
- represent you at any formal hearings or court proceedings
- negotiate compensation on your behalf
Rest assured, our specialists have extensive experience in General Protections claims, and will work hard to achieve a successful outcome for you.
WHY CHOOSE US?
Dismissals ‘R’ Us is part of the Supportah Network – a team of employment lawyers and industrial advocates who specialise in General Protections claims.
We have had more than 10 years experience handling General Protections claims for our clients in the Fair Work Commission, the Federal Circuit & Family Court and other commissions, courts and tribunals.
Strong record of success
Dismissals ‘R’ Us has filed hundreds of General Protections claims on behalf of our clients.
If we can’t negotiate adequate compensation during the conciliation process, we will take your matter to the Federal Circuit & Family Court to ensure that you get the justice you deserve.
Affordable Access to Justice
We are proud to offer our clients Affordable Access to Justice.
We provide expert advice and representation at a price you can afford based on your income.
Whether it’s filing documents, or representing you in conciliation sessions and full hearings, or advising you of your best options moving forward – our goal at Dismissals ‘R’ Us is to take the pressure and stress off you if you are fighting a General Protections claim.
LAST UPDATED: February 2022